Thursday, May 19, 2011

Tracy Chapman's "Fast Car"



Tracy Chapman’s “Fast Car” is a Grammy award-winning song with unique vocals and instrumentals which help to tell a story of generational poverty. However, it is not a success story for the protagonist of the song. The lyrics of the song have a very deep meaning to them and it will most likely take several listens to the song to fully understand what is meant. 

“Fast Car” begins on a mundane, yet hopeful tone. The protagonist has to drop out of school to take care of their ailing, alcoholic father because the protagonist’s mother left him. But, things turn hopeful when the protagonist starts dreaming of a better life and makes plans to leave in their partner’s fast car. The importance of the decision to escape together at the beginning of the story is conveyed by the line: “We leave tonight or live and die this way.” These lyrics give use a mutual sense of hope; however, by the end of the song we recognize another life changing decision has been made when Chapman changes the “we” to “you” in the final line of the song: “You leave tonight or live and die this way.”

Jumping ahead in time, the song reads: “I know things will get better/you’ll find work and I'll get promoted/we’ll move out of the shelter.” At this point in time during “Fast Car” we know things have not changed very much. The protagonist is still struggling in times of poverty. Towards the end of the song, with time passing again, we are made aware of the protagonist’s negative home life. The protagonist’s partner is an alcoholic and is unemployed, leaving childcare and bill payments on the protagonist’s plate. Half of the protagonist’s life has passed and they are still right where they started. The protagonist finally accepts the life they were given and tells their partner to “take your fast car and keep on driving. 

The title of the song, “Fast Car,” is the focal point of the song. As mentioned previously, unique elements such as vocals and instrumentals are used in this song to enhance the message Chapman is trying to convey to her audience. The instrumentation increases significantly in the chorus implying a sense of speed and thrill of a fast car. Chapman’s voice experiences a volume increase on the “I-I” during the chorus. This technique gives listeners a sense of a high as well as a sense of belonging; allowing the possibility that the protagonist could “be someone” as they are speeding in the fast car. Living in a poverty-stricken environment leaves people feeling pretty low about themselves; therefore, the idea of speeding in fast car pulls out the emotions and desires of the protagonist wanting to simply belong. For the protagonist, these feelings elicit desire for a better future.

The instrumentation is fairly simple compared to the current, computerized age generation of pop music. I am certainly not an expert, but I believe the majority of the song is played with a guitar. The pick of the strings, da-da-da-da da da-da, provides simplicity and a pure sound to the listeners’ ears. The song has a folk vibe. I think that by keeping the music and sound simple, yet increasing speed and volume in specific areas to provide emphasis allows the listeners a better understanding of the message.

Chapman’s “Fast Car” was released in 1988 and was an instant chart topper. Since then the song’s popularity has not died down and its message is still very relevant. A fun fact to prove its current popularity and never-ending success is that in April 2011, “Fast Car” re-entered the UK charts in the 4th position. 


LYRICS:
you got a fast car
and I want a ticket to anywhere
maybe we make a deal
maybe together we can get somewhere
any place is better
starting from zero got nothing to loose
maybe we'll make something
but me myself I got nothing to prove

you got a fast car
and I got a plan to get us outta here
I been working at the convenience store
managed to save a little bit of money
we wont have to drive too far
just 'cross the border and into the city
you and I can both get jobs
and finally see what it means to be living

you see my old man's got a problem
he lives with the bottle that's the way it is
he says his body's to old for working
his body's young to look like his
my mama went off and left him
she wanted more to life than he could give
I said somebody's got to take care of him
so I quit school and that's what I did

you got a fast car
but is it fast enough so we can fly away 

we gotta make a decision
we leave tonight or live and die this way

I remember we were driving driving in your car
the speed so fast I felt like I was drunk
city lights lay out before us
and your arm felt nice wrapped round my shoulder
and I had a feeling that I belonged
and I had a feeling I could be someone, be someone, be someone

you got a fast car
and we go cruising to entertain ourselves
you still ain't got a job
and I work in a market as a check out girl
I know things will get better
you'll find work and I'll get promoted
we'll move out of the shelter
buy a big house and live in the suburbs


you got a fast car
and I got a job that pays all our bills
you stay out drinking late at the bar
see more of your friends than you do of your kids
I'd always hoped for better
thought maybe together you and me would find it
I got no plans I ain't going nowhere
so take your fast car and keep on driving

you got a fast car
but is it fast enough so you could fly away
you gotta make a decision
you leave tonight or live and die this way

No comments:

Post a Comment